Hilltops preschool is a warm, farm-style environment where your children can learn and grow, where bare feet are encouraged and imaginations inspired! The school is a partnership between two dedicated moms and long- time, qualified teachers with a passion for children.
Debbie Coombes and Angie Muggleton have combined their love for teaching with their desire to create a nurturing environment for children to develop socially, emotionally, physically and intellectually, teaching them to be both independent and accomodating of others.
The school was started in 2012 with 6 children and has grown to currently house 60 children, with 4 teachers and 2 classroom assistants. There are now four classrooms as well as two large outdoor play spaces so we can let the little ones and the slightly bigger ones do what they need to do outside, without getting in each other's way!
Visit the school at any time of the day and see the children playing happily on the wide variety of outdoor equipment (that includes the much- loved big red boat) or racing around the track with their bikes. The staff provide a wide array of creative activities for the children to participate in and your child will be bringing home art works that are sure to take pride of place on any mantle piece, fridge or wall! See here for an example of the daily programme we follow with the children.
- To create a happy, healthy, stable and safe environment for the children.
- To develop the whole child as a unique individual: socially, emotionally, physically, and intellectually, teaching them to be both independent and accommodating of others.
- To offer activities which allow a child to exercise his/her own choice, but also to learn to follow adult direction and respect adult supervision.
- To encourage children to enjoy and experience each learning activity.
- To develop fine and gross motor skills, keen sensory perception and skills of reasoning and logic, according to age.
- To follow a carefully planned programme of learning experiences which progressively expose the child to the skills required for formal learning in Grade 1.
The school is situated behind the Rotunda shop in Hilton. Taking the Cedara road off-ramp from the highway (N3) and taking the first left makes the access from Hilton, Pietermaritzburg and Howick a breeze. The Rotunda is a farm- style store selling fresh fruit and vegetables, baked goods and more and is open from 8am. Also on site is Simply Delicious, a clothing store and more, so relaxed shopping and a tasty breakfast after dropping your little ones off is that easy!
Just down the road is the new Hilton Life Private Hospital, a state of the art medical facility.
- "My 2 and a half year old has really enjoyed her time at Hilltops so far. She adores Debbie and talks a lot about all her friends. I am so impressed with the creative artworks she brings home! I highly recommend the school and look forward to the next few years there " Glynis Bubenzer
- "Our little one has grown and developed so much since starting at Hilltops. Everyone is loving and friendly and we could not ask for a more nurturing and fun environment. Thank- you Debbie and Angie!" Dominik
- "I think Hilltops is a wonderful place for children to just be children and enjoy their time with friends and teachers, learning along the way!" Angie